Out of My Hat

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 2 December 2012

First Sunday of Advent

Posted on 05:56 by Unknown
Advent is a time to prepare for the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus. It is the time that covers the four Sundays prior to Christmas.

From the time I was a kid, Advent has been about preparing for Christmas. This year, Advent will be different. After reading this article from The Gospel Coalition, Advent takes on a whole new meaning. It makes my focus on the Return of My Lord Jesus.

The author makes some good points about living without the expectation of His return vs. how we live as an expectant believer. Remembering that He is coming again always gives me a sense of urgency about sharing the Good News of God's grace and salvation through His son Jesus.

I would echo the author's invitation and ask you to join us in skipping the "Christmas Season" celebration. By all means, celebrate Christmas and the birth of our Savior. But lets keep Advent about preparing for His coming--His return.

John <><
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in Christmas | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Old Farmer's Almanac
    I know that The Old Farmer's Almanac is one of those outdated publications that just keeps hanging on. I would guess that the informati...
  • The Way. The Truth. The Life.
    From time to time I feel the need to make this very clear to my readers and friends. I have a number of friends that are not followers of Je...
  • Livin' the Good Life
    I have a pretty good   great life. You probably have a pretty good life, too; maybe even a great life. However, I have found that I can ta...
  • Tell Your Story
    Last Sunday, I once again issued the challenge to tell somebody that needs to know Jesus as Savior that God loves them and Jesus died for th...
  • The Benefits of Regular Posts
    I am not a regular blogger. When I started Out of My Hat , I thought that it would be nice to post something a couple of times a week or so....
  • Tell Your Story
    In reading through the Gospels,, we find stories of a people that had unusual encounters with Jesus. They were unusual in that Jesus was abl...
  • The Preacher That Didn't Preach
    Wow! Talk about your oxymoron. Most of the time you can't get a preacher to stop preaching. How rare is it that you can find one that do...
  • The Downside of Bible Study
    If studying the Bible is meant to bring us closer to God, the downside is the realization of just how far away from Him we are to begin with...
  • The Best of 2009
    One of the other blogs that I frequent recently ran a "Best of 2009" by picking one favorite post from each month. I was re-readi...
  • Citizen by Birth; Citizen by Choice
    According to my younger sister, 50 years ago today my mother became a United States citizen. I remember a few years ago when the spouse of a...

Categories

  • apologetics (5)
  • ATC (14)
  • books (2)
  • camp (3)
  • Christmas (38)
  • conference (2)
  • family (6)
  • Favorite Bible Stories (25)
  • food (3)
  • fun stuff (55)
  • Getting started (12)
  • health (3)
  • insight (20)
  • magic (27)
  • message (114)
  • missions (7)
  • personal stuff (205)
  • politics (62)
  • rant (178)
  • religion (107)
  • sports (6)
  • survey (6)
  • trivia (20)
  • video (44)
  • What I Like About ... (24)
  • writing (20)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (89)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ▼  2012 (158)
    • ▼  December (33)
      • Incredible Kicking Exhibition
      • 2012 Is Winding Down...
      • December 31, 2012: The end of the world as we know...
      • The Old Farmer's Almanac
      • Favorite Posts...again
      • Baseball 365
      • Glory to God in the highest...
      • Christmas Eve
      • Telling the Christmas Story
      • Fiscal Cliff: What does it mean to you?
      • December Solstice
      • Joy Management
      • When the End Comes...
      • Looking for Answers (and ranting about it)
      • International Friends...
      • A Christmas Story You Can Share (Christmas reading)
      • A Day of Silence
      • Mom
      • Bonus post: Another favorite
      • Feel Good Days
      • My All-time Favorite
      • Favorite Posts
      • Music is for Everybody
      • Continuing With More Good News About the Good Guys
      • Let's Hear It for the Good Guys!
      • Christmas Readings Meeting
      • Christmas Wish List
      • War on Christmas
      • Black Thursday Laws
      • A Few Good Men
      • Is it Pride...or Jealousy?
      • First Sunday of Advent
      • December 1
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2011 (89)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (94)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2009 (70)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile