Out of My Hat

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 3 August 2012

For the Record

Posted on 20:11 by Unknown
I've been wondering what I would write about for post number 700.
For better or worse, this seems to have been dropped in my lap.

I've decided to set the record straight. I realize that I often seem to send some mixed signals to my Christian friends and family. I am more concerned about sending mixed signals to my non-Christian friends and followers. So let's just put it out there as plain as I can manage in a few short paragraphs.

I am a follower of Jesus.

I don't like to use the word Christian to describe myself. If we accept that Christian means to be "Christ-like" then I am afraid that I fall far short of that definition. Besides, I think it's pretty arrogant to proclaim, "Hey! I'm like Jesus!"

I believe what the Bible teaches about Jesus. I believe that He is the Son of God. That He is God. I believe that He died for my sins (and yours, too) and is the ONLY way to heaven. If you believe that there is another way to heaven (live a good life, do more good than bad, follow another belief or religion), I believe that you are wrong and will spend eternity in hell. In case you're wondering, that's what Jesus taught (along with the love your neighbor stuff).

When I preach, I preach salvation in Jesus and Jesus alone. I believe that we are called to teach others the things that Jesus teaches; that we are called to share Jesus and his love; that we are called to love our neighbors and our enemies; that we are called to be gracious and forgiving as God has been gracious and forgiving toward us.

If you are an unbeliever, I will gladly share my beliefs with you. I will listen as you share yours with me. I will not debate, argue nor fight with you about who is right and who is wrong. I will lead you to my Jesus and leave the Holy Spirit to pierce your heart with the truth. If we part with the same differences that we met with, I will pray for you.

That's my confession to my non-believing friends.
To my fellow followers of Jesus:

I am a social liberal. I believe that we (as a society) have a responsibility to one another. I don't believe that adequate health care is something for some and not for others. I believe that decent health care is a basic human right. I don't believe that one religion has the right to impose its beliefs on a society that has many religions and beliefs. That means that as a citizen of the USA, I support a gay couple's right to a civil union. I believe in the Biblical definition of the family and recognize that not everybody else does. I'm okay with that. As a preacher of the Gospel, I would probably decline to officiate a same gender wedding. I would not turn down an invitation to attend the same wedding and to celebrate with the couple.

I don't use pro-life/pro-choice as a litmus test for political candidates. I believe that conservatives have been played for too long by a party that is truly powerless to make a real difference and wouldn't even if they could. There is just too much money and manipulative power in keeping it as an issue. I don't believe that laws ever change the hearts of people. If you want non-believers to behave like followers of Jesus, you're going to have to introduce them to Jesus first. Then let Jesus lead them.

I don't get worked up over religious persecutions, we were told to expect them. (That's one of the things Jesus taught, remember?) 
I realize that the followers of Jesus will be a minority of our society. This may come as a shock to some, but I seem to remember a teaching that says the road is narrow and the way is hard and few will find it.
I accept that you have an American right to free speech and to worship as you choose. I realize that as a follower of Jesus, I do not.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense or not. I expect that some will think that I'm an intolerant religious zealot that judges everybody and condemns all non-Christians to hell. I'm not. That's not my job. Others may label me as a heretic and remind me that you can't be a Christian and a liberal. (And yes, I've been told that before.)

Maybe these things are the reasons that I struggle in every aspect of life. I struggle to be a faithful follower of Jesus. I struggle to be a good citizen of my country. I still struggle to be a good dad to my kids (that are pretty much grown) and a good husband to my wife. I have far too many things to worry about as I try to serve well to be concerned if everybody else is serving well. Though I will help you to understand the Bible and the teachings of Jesus as well as I can, when the time comes to stand in judgment, you're on your own. That's the best I can offer.

John <><
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in personal stuff, politics, rant, religion | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Way. The Truth. The Life.
    From time to time I feel the need to make this very clear to my readers and friends. I have a number of friends that are not followers of Je...
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac
    I know that The Old Farmer's Almanac is one of those outdated publications that just keeps hanging on. I would guess that the informati...
  • Tell Your Story
    Last Sunday, I once again issued the challenge to tell somebody that needs to know Jesus as Savior that God loves them and Jesus died for th...
  • The Weekend in Review
    I hope that you all had a great weekend! I started my weekend by getting a little bit of raking and burning of the leaves in my back yard. T...
  • Tell Your Story
    In reading through the Gospels,, we find stories of a people that had unusual encounters with Jesus. They were unusual in that Jesus was abl...
  • The Best of 2009
    One of the other blogs that I frequent recently ran a "Best of 2009" by picking one favorite post from each month. I was re-readi...
  • A Snowy Day in the Ozarks
    The snow started last night around 8 o'clock and has been falling ever since. It started as a fine powdery snow but the flakes are star...
  • Pieces of Christmas #10: The Power of Christmas
    This is one of my favorite Christmas stories.  It is not a story about the Christ of Christmas.  It is a story about the Power of Christmas ...
  • Hero Worship
    I've never been much on hero worship--maybe it's because there are few that are qualified for true hero status. And I guess that ev...
  • The Downside of Bible Study
    If studying the Bible is meant to bring us closer to God, the downside is the realization of just how far away from Him we are to begin with...

Categories

  • apologetics (5)
  • ATC (14)
  • books (2)
  • camp (3)
  • Christmas (38)
  • conference (2)
  • family (6)
  • Favorite Bible Stories (25)
  • food (3)
  • fun stuff (55)
  • Getting started (12)
  • health (3)
  • insight (20)
  • magic (27)
  • message (114)
  • missions (7)
  • personal stuff (205)
  • politics (62)
  • rant (178)
  • religion (107)
  • sports (6)
  • survey (6)
  • trivia (20)
  • video (44)
  • What I Like About ... (24)
  • writing (20)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (89)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ▼  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (33)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ▼  August (10)
      • I'm Picking Another Fight!
      • How Much Faith Do You Have?
      • A Question for My Evangelical Friends
      • Marking Time ...
      • Did You Know...
      • I Know How You Feel
      • Socialism? Please Explain.
      • For the Record
      • I Need Help in Understanding PPACA
      • Once More on Chick-fil-A
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2011 (89)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (94)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2009 (70)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile