Out of My Hat

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 19 August 2011

Fair Warning

Posted on 12:35 by Unknown
Over the past few years, I've tried to reduce the number of political rants that appear here at Out of My Hat. I find them to often be divisive and create an atmosphere that quickly becomes more about who is right and who is wrong than a place for discussion, debate and a sharing of ideas.

Unfortunately, I still share political links that I like and post opinions over on Facebook.  This often generates unwanted comments.  While I realize that posting such links and status updates can appear to give the impression that you are invited to disagree with me; it really doesn't.  You have your page to post your opinions--use it.

To date, I've never censored comments on Facebook and have only done that once at Out of My Hat.  I'm a big boy and can take it. At this point, I just want to make sure that you are able to take it as well.

My friends are a diverse group. I have some very conservative friends through church relationships and some very liberal friends through my Union relationships; family falls on both sides; classmates-- I'm unsure of.  Most of those that are willing to take on the debate are very well versed in the legislative process and have their facts pretty well squared away.  It has been my experience, that the left side (politically speaking) tends to be better informed of the facts than the right. There have been several national surveys that also bear this out.

I'm sharing this as a kind of public service warning.  It seems that we are getting into the 2012 campaign season much earlier than usual and I have a feeling that it's going to be an ugly one. I am going to try to refrain from posting a lot of political stuff here, and perhaps reduce the links on Facebook. (Follow me on Twitter  @magicianary and your comments are limited to 140 characters!)

If you choose to engage in political debate with my friends -- know your stuff.  Your information, sources, facts and opinions will all be challenged.  Be polite -- I won't put up with meanness. Don't get personal.  Even though our elected representative are engaged in unreasonable and unproductive debate doesn't mean that we have to be. If you can't do these things or just don't want to make yourself a target, then keep your opinions and comments on your own sites.

You've been warned!

John <><
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in politics, rant | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Way. The Truth. The Life.
    From time to time I feel the need to make this very clear to my readers and friends. I have a number of friends that are not followers of Je...
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac
    I know that The Old Farmer's Almanac is one of those outdated publications that just keeps hanging on. I would guess that the informati...
  • Tell Your Story
    Last Sunday, I once again issued the challenge to tell somebody that needs to know Jesus as Savior that God loves them and Jesus died for th...
  • The Weekend in Review
    I hope that you all had a great weekend! I started my weekend by getting a little bit of raking and burning of the leaves in my back yard. T...
  • A Snowy Day in the Ozarks
    The snow started last night around 8 o'clock and has been falling ever since. It started as a fine powdery snow but the flakes are star...
  • What's it Worth?
    Do you believe in Heaven? I know that not everybody believes in heaven. And I know that not everybody's beliefs about heaven are the sa...
  • The Importance of a Dad
    I am currently reading a book called Apologetics For a New Generation . In the third chapter I ran across some interesting statistics from ...
  • The Best of 2009
    One of the other blogs that I frequent recently ran a "Best of 2009" by picking one favorite post from each month. I was re-readi...
  • Keep Looking Up
    I hope that God blesses you with clear skies tonight. It isn't too often that we get to see a total eclipse of the moon.  At just after ...
  • Thoughts on Community
    This weekend is little bit less active than the past few have been. Chris is working today (one of those few Saturdays that she gets schedul...

Categories

  • apologetics (5)
  • ATC (14)
  • books (2)
  • camp (3)
  • Christmas (38)
  • conference (2)
  • family (6)
  • Favorite Bible Stories (25)
  • food (3)
  • fun stuff (55)
  • Getting started (12)
  • health (3)
  • insight (20)
  • magic (27)
  • message (114)
  • missions (7)
  • personal stuff (205)
  • politics (62)
  • rant (178)
  • religion (107)
  • sports (6)
  • survey (6)
  • trivia (20)
  • video (44)
  • What I Like About ... (24)
  • writing (20)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (89)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (33)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2011 (89)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ▼  August (14)
      • 545
      • Update on Persecution
      • Giving an Account
      • Looking for a Candidate for Public Office
      • Guarding Against the Negative
      • Persecuted for Jesus
      • Fair Warning
      • Just Do It!
      • Quick Post
      • Bad Behavior; Bad Testimony
      • Another Beautiful Day in ... Chicago!
      • Politics (again)
      • Labels
      • Hardships (or mere inconveniences?)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (94)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2009 (70)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile