Out of My Hat

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 23 July 2011

A Rare Political Rant

Posted on 20:17 by Unknown
You know that I try to avoid political posts, but lately I've found myself being drawn into the political cesspool surrounding the issue of raising the national debt ceiling ... and I hate it.

I hate it because it takes a relatively simple issue and creates a hugely polarizing debate. Why wasn't it an issue the seven times a Republican dominated Congress voted to raise it during the Bush Administration? For the same reasons that it shouldn't be now.

The problem is that Congress continues to approve spending money that it doesn't have. In every Administration, the President has a certain ability to drive the budget.  But the reality is that Congress--and only Congress--has the ability to spend the monies of our nation.  All spending bills (and tax bills) originate in the House of Representatives. And although the President has veto authority over any bills that make it to his desk (including budgetary bills), he doesn't get to discuss bills in committee nor debate them on the floor of the House or Senate. Taking in revenue (taxes) and spending money fall under the sole domain of Congress...and they are obviously not very good at it.  Individual Senators and Representatives are too easily swayed by party leadership or corporations that are more interested in control of the purse strings for their benefit and agendas rather than the benefit of the nation.

Are there any truly honorable politicians left?  I'd be interested to know if you have a nomination for "The Last Remaining Honorable Politician."  (International readers feel free to nominate politicians from your country -- if you have any worthy of the honor!)

John
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in politics, rant | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Way. The Truth. The Life.
    From time to time I feel the need to make this very clear to my readers and friends. I have a number of friends that are not followers of Je...
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac
    I know that The Old Farmer's Almanac is one of those outdated publications that just keeps hanging on. I would guess that the informati...
  • Tell Your Story
    Last Sunday, I once again issued the challenge to tell somebody that needs to know Jesus as Savior that God loves them and Jesus died for th...
  • The Weekend in Review
    I hope that you all had a great weekend! I started my weekend by getting a little bit of raking and burning of the leaves in my back yard. T...
  • A Snowy Day in the Ozarks
    The snow started last night around 8 o'clock and has been falling ever since. It started as a fine powdery snow but the flakes are star...
  • What's it Worth?
    Do you believe in Heaven? I know that not everybody believes in heaven. And I know that not everybody's beliefs about heaven are the sa...
  • The Best of 2009
    One of the other blogs that I frequent recently ran a "Best of 2009" by picking one favorite post from each month. I was re-readi...
  • Keep Looking Up
    I hope that God blesses you with clear skies tonight. It isn't too often that we get to see a total eclipse of the moon.  At just after ...
  • The Importance of a Dad
    I am currently reading a book called Apologetics For a New Generation . In the third chapter I ran across some interesting statistics from ...
  • Thoughts on Community
    This weekend is little bit less active than the past few have been. Chris is working today (one of those few Saturdays that she gets schedul...

Categories

  • apologetics (5)
  • ATC (14)
  • books (2)
  • camp (3)
  • Christmas (38)
  • conference (2)
  • family (6)
  • Favorite Bible Stories (25)
  • food (3)
  • fun stuff (55)
  • Getting started (12)
  • health (3)
  • insight (20)
  • magic (27)
  • message (114)
  • missions (7)
  • personal stuff (205)
  • politics (62)
  • rant (178)
  • religion (107)
  • sports (6)
  • survey (6)
  • trivia (20)
  • video (44)
  • What I Like About ... (24)
  • writing (20)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (89)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (33)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2011 (89)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ▼  July (12)
      • The Need to Belong
      • A Little Humor in a Bad Time
      • A Rare Political Rant
      • Cheat Daze
      • Sunday Morning: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
      • Not Too Radical, But I Like It!
      • Unsung Heroes
      • Accountability: Does our physical condition say an...
      • Friends and Family
      • Quiet Sunday Morning
      • Happy Birthday!
      • Blog Ads
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (94)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2009 (70)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile