Out of My Hat

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Happy Birthday!

Posted on 05:31 by Unknown
I wanted to take a few minutes this morning to write a short post since we'll be doing the Holiday thing with family over the weekend.  My family has two birthdays to celebrate on the Fourth of July: my dad's, and our country's.  (The latter is a little older than the former.)

So before anything else is said -- Happy Birthday, Dad!

As for celebrating the Independence Day part of the Fourth ...

I enjoy watching a good professional fireworks display. I also enjoy an evening with friends or family and watching the fireworks that people have purchased at a roadside stand (where that's legal).  But that part of the 4th means a little less each year.

And just as shooting off a few fireworks means a little less, appreciation for my awesome country means a little more.  I know that we have our share of problems. We are far from a perfect country.  I think that it is ironic that the document that declares our independence from England has its own imperfections.  It's funny -- about two thirds of the way down the page, and towards the center, there is a word added by using this symbol (^) and writing 'only' between the words 'answered' and 'by',  Other than adding a little bit of emphasis, the word 'only' doesn't really change anything. I guess I think it's odd that the writer would go back and make this small correction.

I can certainly understand not wanting to start over in order to have a perfect document.  But was it really necessary to have the word 'only' inserted into the sentence?  Perhaps it was just too much trouble to leave it out. I mean -- that was the language that was voted on and approved. To change it would require another meeting and more debate.  Some would want to keep it citing that the wording of the Declaration far exceeds the appearance of the document.  Others might have had the foresight to realize that this document would be cherished throughout our history and wanted it clean.

Maybe it just wasn't that important so the writer just inserted the missing word and nobody cared.  I just think that the idea of our imperfect country having an imperfect document that declares our independence is interesting.

Happy Birthday, US of A.

John<><


"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness..."
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in personal stuff, rant, trivia | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Way. The Truth. The Life.
    From time to time I feel the need to make this very clear to my readers and friends. I have a number of friends that are not followers of Je...
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac
    I know that The Old Farmer's Almanac is one of those outdated publications that just keeps hanging on. I would guess that the informati...
  • Tell Your Story
    Last Sunday, I once again issued the challenge to tell somebody that needs to know Jesus as Savior that God loves them and Jesus died for th...
  • The Weekend in Review
    I hope that you all had a great weekend! I started my weekend by getting a little bit of raking and burning of the leaves in my back yard. T...
  • A Snowy Day in the Ozarks
    The snow started last night around 8 o'clock and has been falling ever since. It started as a fine powdery snow but the flakes are star...
  • What's it Worth?
    Do you believe in Heaven? I know that not everybody believes in heaven. And I know that not everybody's beliefs about heaven are the sa...
  • The Best of 2009
    One of the other blogs that I frequent recently ran a "Best of 2009" by picking one favorite post from each month. I was re-readi...
  • Keep Looking Up
    I hope that God blesses you with clear skies tonight. It isn't too often that we get to see a total eclipse of the moon.  At just after ...
  • The Importance of a Dad
    I am currently reading a book called Apologetics For a New Generation . In the third chapter I ran across some interesting statistics from ...
  • Thoughts on Community
    This weekend is little bit less active than the past few have been. Chris is working today (one of those few Saturdays that she gets schedul...

Categories

  • apologetics (5)
  • ATC (14)
  • books (2)
  • camp (3)
  • Christmas (38)
  • conference (2)
  • family (6)
  • Favorite Bible Stories (25)
  • food (3)
  • fun stuff (55)
  • Getting started (12)
  • health (3)
  • insight (20)
  • magic (27)
  • message (114)
  • missions (7)
  • personal stuff (205)
  • politics (62)
  • rant (178)
  • religion (107)
  • sports (6)
  • survey (6)
  • trivia (20)
  • video (44)
  • What I Like About ... (24)
  • writing (20)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (89)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (33)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2011 (89)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ▼  July (12)
      • The Need to Belong
      • A Little Humor in a Bad Time
      • A Rare Political Rant
      • Cheat Daze
      • Sunday Morning: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
      • Not Too Radical, But I Like It!
      • Unsung Heroes
      • Accountability: Does our physical condition say an...
      • Friends and Family
      • Quiet Sunday Morning
      • Happy Birthday!
      • Blog Ads
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (94)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2009 (70)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile