Out of My Hat

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 17 May 2010

Immigration, Arizona and The Land of the Free

Posted on 07:30 by Unknown
I know that I have sworn off of politics and political posts, but this isn't just about politics--it's about people.

When dealing with the subject of immigration, or in most cases--illegal immigration, I think that some compassion is in order. Sure, the curmudgeonly part of me wants to take a hard line stance and deport anybody that is here without a "legal" right to be here. But the humanitarian part (yes, I have a humanitarian buried deep in my personality) doesn't want to send them back to a situation that is worse for them or their families.

The fiscally conservative part doesn't want to spend a nickel of public money for their health, education or well being. While the humanitarian part (their it is again!) doesn't want to withhold necessary things from the innocents (children) that are caught in the situation as a result of adults that can't get things worked out.

I certainly realize that we need to have immigration laws and the right to enforce them. I shake my head in the irony of the strict Mexican immigration laws in regard to their southern border and the Mexican government's blind eye towards people leaving through their northern border and the criticism they have for the US policies.

I don't know if the Arizona law is the answer but I do think that the state has the right to address the issue since the federal government chooses to ignore it.

I'm not a big fan of the writings of Richard Land. I usually don't disagree with his stance, but often find his attitude and demeanor offensive. However, his article on addressing the issue of immigration was well written and deals with the compassion, understanding and grace that we (the citizens of Heaven and of the US) should have towards those that are just seeking a better way of life. Read the article, contemplate the ideas expressed, and let's see if we can't offer some help to our elected officials in addressing the issue facing our border states and effecting us all.

Love God, love your neighbor...

John
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in politics, rant, religion | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Way. The Truth. The Life.
    From time to time I feel the need to make this very clear to my readers and friends. I have a number of friends that are not followers of Je...
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac
    I know that The Old Farmer's Almanac is one of those outdated publications that just keeps hanging on. I would guess that the informati...
  • Tell Your Story
    Last Sunday, I once again issued the challenge to tell somebody that needs to know Jesus as Savior that God loves them and Jesus died for th...
  • The Weekend in Review
    I hope that you all had a great weekend! I started my weekend by getting a little bit of raking and burning of the leaves in my back yard. T...
  • A Snowy Day in the Ozarks
    The snow started last night around 8 o'clock and has been falling ever since. It started as a fine powdery snow but the flakes are star...
  • What's it Worth?
    Do you believe in Heaven? I know that not everybody believes in heaven. And I know that not everybody's beliefs about heaven are the sa...
  • The Best of 2009
    One of the other blogs that I frequent recently ran a "Best of 2009" by picking one favorite post from each month. I was re-readi...
  • Keep Looking Up
    I hope that God blesses you with clear skies tonight. It isn't too often that we get to see a total eclipse of the moon.  At just after ...
  • The Importance of a Dad
    I am currently reading a book called Apologetics For a New Generation . In the third chapter I ran across some interesting statistics from ...
  • Thoughts on Community
    This weekend is little bit less active than the past few have been. Chris is working today (one of those few Saturdays that she gets schedul...

Categories

  • apologetics (5)
  • ATC (14)
  • books (2)
  • camp (3)
  • Christmas (38)
  • conference (2)
  • family (6)
  • Favorite Bible Stories (25)
  • food (3)
  • fun stuff (55)
  • Getting started (12)
  • health (3)
  • insight (20)
  • magic (27)
  • message (114)
  • missions (7)
  • personal stuff (205)
  • politics (62)
  • rant (178)
  • religion (107)
  • sports (6)
  • survey (6)
  • trivia (20)
  • video (44)
  • What I Like About ... (24)
  • writing (20)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (89)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (33)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (22)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2011 (89)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ▼  2010 (94)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ▼  May (8)
      • Remember
      • Musings From My Ordinary Life
      • Immigration, Arizona and The Land of the Free
      • Marking Time
      • Blackberry Winter
      • World News
      • Another Reason That I'd Make a Lousy Pastor...
      • One week later...
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2009 (70)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile