Out of My Hat

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Politics and Religion ... again

Posted on 08:11 by Unknown
I know, I know.
I've covered my feelings on religion and politics in the past, posted my personal biases (never without opposition push-back and fallout), and swore that I would never do it again ... until the next time.

Apparently the next time is here.

I'm glad that I was at youth camp last week when the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) announced its ruling on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). With any massive overhaul, there is bound to be opposition. Rarely has it been the total opposition that political parties have made it today.

I am appalled at the amount of misinformation that is being spread and at the total opposition from conservatives to what was originally a conservative proposal.

As the election cycles towards its November culmination, I will be slowly but steadily removing "friends" from my Facebook news feed. It's not that I don't want to be your "friend," I just want to guard my mind and attitude from too much negative crap. Of course, you are free to do the same.

My greatest dismay comes from our religious leaders that continually feel the need to weigh in on the politics of the nation. The implication that one side is more Christian than the other is absurd. The followers of such leaders take their words as truth and feel they can openly condemn anybody with an opposing view. When will we stop expecting non-Christians to act like Jesus?

One leader wrote (in his response to the SCOTUS ruling), "The court's actions today reflect the secularization of our society..."

WHAT?

Since the SCOTUS is not a religious organization and the United States is not a religious government, what would a reasonable person expect the High Court's decision to reflect?

When political activities, political parties and governments become effective tools in the expanding of the Kingdom of God, I'll jump back into the fray. Until then, I'm going to urge my Christian brothers and sisters to focus on sharing the love of God and the Good News of the saving gospel of Jesus. I'm not asking you to suspend your political rants. I'm just asking that you give the God that has saved our worthless souls equal time.

John <><

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. 2Tim 2:23-25
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in politics, rant, religion | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • The Way. The Truth. The Life.
    From time to time I feel the need to make this very clear to my readers and friends. I have a number of friends that are not followers of Je...
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac
    I know that The Old Farmer's Almanac is one of those outdated publications that just keeps hanging on. I would guess that the informati...
  • Tell Your Story
    Last Sunday, I once again issued the challenge to tell somebody that needs to know Jesus as Savior that God loves them and Jesus died for th...
  • The Weekend in Review
    I hope that you all had a great weekend! I started my weekend by getting a little bit of raking and burning of the leaves in my back yard. T...
  • A Snowy Day in the Ozarks
    The snow started last night around 8 o'clock and has been falling ever since. It started as a fine powdery snow but the flakes are star...
  • What's it Worth?
    Do you believe in Heaven? I know that not everybody believes in heaven. And I know that not everybody's beliefs about heaven are the sa...
  • The Best of 2009
    One of the other blogs that I frequent recently ran a "Best of 2009" by picking one favorite post from each month. I was re-readi...
  • Keep Looking Up
    I hope that God blesses you with clear skies tonight. It isn't too often that we get to see a total eclipse of the moon.  At just after ...
  • The Importance of a Dad
    I am currently reading a book called Apologetics For a New Generation . In the third chapter I ran across some interesting statistics from ...
  • Thoughts on Community
    This weekend is little bit less active than the past few have been. Chris is working today (one of those few Saturdays that she gets schedul...

Categories

  • apologetics (5)
  • ATC (14)
  • books (2)
  • camp (3)
  • Christmas (38)
  • conference (2)
  • family (6)
  • Favorite Bible Stories (25)
  • food (3)
  • fun stuff (55)
  • Getting started (12)
  • health (3)
  • insight (20)
  • magic (27)
  • message (114)
  • missions (7)
  • personal stuff (205)
  • politics (62)
  • rant (178)
  • religion (107)
  • sports (6)
  • survey (6)
  • trivia (20)
  • video (44)
  • What I Like About ... (24)
  • writing (20)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (89)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ▼  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (33)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ▼  July (22)
      • Summer: An Early Ending
      • The Downside of Bible Study
      • Boycott
      • Blogoversary!
      • Chick-fil-A
      • A Post About Nothing
      • Man Cave
      • If I Were the Devil
      • When no news is ... not news!
      • Jamesport
      • Ministry Partners
      • Shameless Self-Promotion
      • Heading North ... Again
      • Let's get creative!
      • Reflections...
      • No More Horsing Around
      • Schooled ... by teenagers!
      • Civil War
      • The Preacher That Didn't Preach
      • Politics and Religion ... again
      • More on Deception
      • July 1, Post 1
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2011 (89)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (6)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2010 (94)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (11)
    • ►  August (14)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (12)
  • ►  2009 (70)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (10)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile